Expert AI 4.0
Compatible with 1.6.2
Do you want to play vanilla HOI IV but can’t find the challenge you need because the AI plays the game at a beginner level? This mod is for you. Nearly everything about the AI that is possible to mod has been overhauled (with over fifty thousand lines of script added) to create a more efficient AI.
That includes division designs, division production, equipment production, variants, research, diplomacy, construction, naval invasions, ideas and more. In other words how well the AI manages its country overall. There is absolutely massive room for improvement in these areas in the vanilla game. What is NOT fixed is how the AI moves its divisions, fleets and such except for tweaks here and there. This area is largely unmoddable.
- A scripted AI army focus system that allows any AI to choose from a wide range of different strategies and to logically prioritise research and variant design accordingly instead doing the same thing every game. There are over 400 template variations for the AI to design towards when creating divisions which gives it adaptability and adds replayability to the game.
- New military coordination decisions for the player that allows you to influence what your allies do: launch coordinated naval invasions, change production priorities, check their stockpiles, coordinate lend-lease.
- Change certain AI behaviour or game balance.
- Customise any country’s build strategy (army, air, navy) from the specifics of template composition and width to land doctrine paths and fleet composition.
- Add various different types of difficulty settings from simple bonus modifiers to scaling modifiers and even free division and equipment spawning until you find the challenge you need.
This mod works best with historical focuses. The overall progression of the game has been made more historical and the AI is more efficient with national focuses.
This mod has taken me well over a thousand hours to get to where it is today and new HOI4 patches require more time consuming work to keep it up to date. Donations are appreciated and motivate me to keep the updates coming.
- If you are an experienced player and want a challenge especially as a major, you should still give the AI bonuses. One purpose of this mod is to allow the AI to make proper use of difficulty bonuses.
- This mod is designed for the historical focuses option with a lot of AI logic added to improve the AI’s national focus/diplomatic behavior. Playing without it is perfectly possible but these areas will not be improved for the most part.
- This mod is not balanced around playing with minor nations. If going on a conquest spree with minors is impossible or at least much harder, then it is working as intended.
- 1939 start is not supported due to how much work it is to adapt to this mod.
- The only AI bonus enabled by default is the reduced resistance effects modifier for the AI which can be disabled. Any other bonuses the mod gives are set by you. There are no hidden bonuses to anything, including the AI’s units.
- Not achievement compatible.
- DLCs: missing DLCs may lead to unintended historical AI behavior. The AI (the naval part at least) works much better with MtG.
- Multiplayer compatible when every player has this mod enabled.
- This is a major overhaul that edits nearly every important file, therefore this is not compatible even with non-AI overhauls or mods that add or change technologies, advisors, new equipment etc. Compatible mods.
"Does this help performance by fixing AI division spam?"
The AI won’t spam thousands of divisions in the late game, so yes. There is however a performance cost to all the additional AI scripting in this mod. The game is a little slower from the beginning but lags out less during the late game.
"I picked Germany, set sliders to max and steamrolled all of Europe/world by 1939."
This is a sandbox game so you can play any way you like. However there are several problems with this: 1) Germany is by far the easiest nation, 2) the sliders only very marginally help the AI (so use more buffs through the EAI config), 3) there’s a reason why many MP games use a massive list of house rules. The game is completely unbalanced without them and if human players can’t deal with it then the AI sure as hell can’t.
"Something ahistorical happened on historical mode."
This mod will not force the game to play out exactly historically whether it’s Germany always losing by 45 or China not getting annexed by Japan. If you want to see some nation perform better, give it bonuses.
"Can you make this compatible with my favourite mod X?"
It is unlikely that I will integrate other mods into Expert AI (or the other way around). This mod is created around the vanilla HOI4 with painstaking effort to make an AI that understands how to play vanilla efficiently. An AI mod this extensive will never be compatible with most gameplay or overhaul mods out there without major rework.
Inspired by the ‘AI Research and Division Tweaks’ mod.
Thanks to everyone who have given feedback, made suggestions or reported problems.
Thanks to the following people for testing, contributions or specific ideas: Yossarian, VDNKh, RunsOnDiesel, Zijistark, Axe99, Locomotive, Fabius.
French translation by Scribio -> https://discord.gg/nJJsW2a
Old revisions of this mod are available below. Click the link to download.